Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Setting Goals

To be honest, I didn't have very specific goals when I started the weight loss challenge at the end of January, and this blog a week or so later. I vaguely wanted my clothes to fit better and not wince whenever I looked in the mirror. And hey, if I can somehow "get more energy" that would be great, too.

Then I started the blog and took a hard look at myself in the photo I included on the first blog entry. Yikes!

But still I couldn't quantify any goals, until all of a sudden, last Friday morning after weighing in and losing 2 pounds, despite some slip ups on the diet side, I knew what I wanted. I think, looking back, that why I realized at that time what my real goals are was because I was feeling good about myself and this whole effort -- I knew I could do it!

It gelled during a conversation with a friend who's also participating in the weight loss challenge at work.

She was feeling a bit discouraged because she hasn't lost very much yet, and we got to discussing via texting how well we'd done that week, which led to what goals we had. I thought a minute, then texted: First I want to get down to 190 by June, then 160 by December.

She responded: I'm aiming to drop 10 lbs by June.



But pounds and ounces are almost meaningless to me. What does being that weight DO for me? I wasn't satisfied with the goals I'd just set. I thought some more, and then texted: But I'm really aiming to be able to walk up 12 flights of stairs in one go, go on a 6-mile strenuous hike easily; and lift 55 lbs without struggling. Those are my real goals.

What she said next summed it all up, and as I then told her, wrote this blog for me. She said: I'm really beginning to see that the key is writing it down and sharing our goals, because it really holds us accountable. I'm back on track.

So do that. Figure out what it is you really want out of this effort. Better fitting clothes? More energy? The ability to walk all day without pooping out? To run that 5k race next September? Whatever -- just set your goal. Write it down in a notebook somewhere, as a promise to yourself (I'm writing it here in this blog). In fact, I'd love to hear what your goal is!

I know it's not so simple as that. We have to back up our goals with action. If I want to walk up 12 flights of stairs in one go, then I start at 2 flights per set (last week) and build up to it (this week I'm able to do two sets of 3 flights, followed by sets of 2 flights). But at least it helps if you know where you want to be. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to get there. Hard work in the future, to be sure. But the pathway there makes sense, now you know where you're going.

Based on my goals, I know the basics of my plan: I need to start some weight training (hey, I can start with those resistance bands). Cardio's important, for stamina and endurance. And that stair climbing I started last week? That'll have to continue.

We'll see how this goal setting works.

(I apologize in advance to my sister, who had asked me, when starting this blog, to please not be perky and too optimistic. She wants me to keep this real. I'm trying!)

I'd love to hear what your goals are -- please send me an email at daytripgal@gmail.com!

Look for Journey to the Land of Fit on Facebook: facebook.com/JourneytotheLandofFit


No comments:

Post a Comment