Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Starting

I feel like such a cliche. I am a middle-aged woman, considered to be medically obese. My species runs wild through the malls and grocery stores and byways of middle-class, suburbia America.

When I look into the mirror I see reflected back a conglomerate image of me from younger years, with a little bit of homecoming teen queen thrown in for good measure -- I see the ideal me, the me I could be (or could have been -- I think I'm a few years older now). When I accidentally catch a glimpse of myself unawares, it's always a shock. Is that really me? I once dropped a glass, shattering it, when I caught of glimpse of my naked backside in a mirror.

So it's time to do something about this. I joined a weight loss challenge at work with some friends and colleagues on 27 January. My first weigh in was 217.2. I am just over 5'6". Ten years ago when I weighed only (ha - only!!) 180 lbs, my former mother-in-law looked down her thin nose at me. Since then I've ditched the negative former in-laws and ex-husband, but gained nearly 55 pounds (during the divorce my weight dived down to 165). I'd love to weigh 165 again. Hells bells, I'd love to weigh 180 lbs again! I'm on my way: last Friday I weighed in at 212.6.

I haven't chosen a diet (not sure I need to) and I haven't started counting calories. I simply cut out the cookies and the second helpings.

I have two sons of my own, who live with me, and two stepsons, who no longer don't. Two beagles and a hound mix. A husband I love (but who's also overweight). Oh -- and I have loads of dusty exercise equipment!

I exercise almost not at all, but that's about to change. As of this morning, I can climb two flights of stairs and arrive winded. I work in a building with 12 floors (if I start from the basement). So one of my goals in the next 6 months is to walk all the way up.

Last year I decided I wanted to hike or bike ride the entire length of the C&O Canal in Maryland. And because I still want to do this 8 months later, I'm purchasing a bike and returning to a hobby of 20+ years ago to do just that. But I can't at this weight and fitness level -- if I want to do this, things will have to change.

So why this blog, where there are so many others similar?

The reason is entirely personal: blog = weight-loss aid. I find writing a blog motivating (see my other blog: MidAtlanticDaytrips.blogspot.com). I find I do things because I can write about them. So if I blog about my journey to the Land of Fit maybe I'll follow through a little more on the diet and exercise.

I'd love it if you join the journey, share your tips and experiences and successes with me and anyone else who's reading along. Regardless, I'm throwing my fitness life "out there," for all to read about. I'm committing to this for about 6 months and then I'll evaluate. Have I made any progress? Do I have any readers? Along the journey I'll share tips I've learned and the pitfalls I've encountered, and anything else that seems interesting and worth including in the blog.

To get started, here's my "before" photo.

I must confess. I took one look at this photo and leashed up a beagle to take him for a brisk 20-minute walk. He enjoyed it, and I got a little exercise in the late afternoon winter sun.

I've started!

I'd love to hear what works for you on your journey to fitness -- please send me an email at daytripgal@gmail.com!

Look for Journey to the Land of Fit on Facebook: facebook.com/JourneytotheLandofFit



No comments:

Post a Comment