Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Choosing a Bike

One of the reasons why I started this fitness journey is so that I can eventually bike the entire length of the C&O Canal, all 184 miles of it, in a four-day journey.

But other than riding bikes at various resorts, I've not been on a bicycle, and not seriously ridden, for more than 20 years. My old road bike had been given away years ago. If I wanted to do this, I was going to start over.

I asked a friend who bikes a lot, but bikes in the kinds of places I want to -- paved or gravel paths, mostly flat -- for advice. Mountain biking reeks of hills and dales and for now, that's too daunting to consider. Road bikes seem to imply an interest in going on a century rides. And sharing the roads with angry and aggressive drivers who have the law of tonage on their side frankly scares me. Nope, it's bike paths and rails-to-trails for me. She recommended a hybrid. I started doing some research, first about hybrids. Then I began considering a comfort bike, given my age, fitness level, and some chronic problems (lower back pain and a pinched nerve).

A little research uncovered three bikes to consider within my price range (less than $500 for the bike itself, and no more than $650 with accessories, such as a rack, a bag, bell, helmet, etc.):

The Trek Pure Lowstep

I'd already named the bike: I was going to call it the Mint Julep.


The Trek Verv I



The Electra Townie


I couldn't find a local bike shop that carried the Trek Pure Lowstep. That was a shame, because of course, that's the one I had decided I really wanted. It seems like a cross between the Verve hybrid and the Electra Townie. The reviews I'd read about it were all positive.

So I was back to considering two bikes: I figured I'd make up my mind when I test rode them. Although several bike shops offered these two bikes, on a warm day last week that foreshadowed the arrival of spring, I headed for the one where the employees didn't dismiss my desire to try the Townie out of hand: Mt. Airy Bikes.

I felt cramped on the Verve -- there didn't seem to be enough room between the seat and the handle bars. That was a first impression. The second impression was that the seat hurt, but they said that's easily changed.

Then I tried the Townie. And suddenly, I felt like a little girl again, riding in the street in front of my house. I liked that I could stand flat-footed while still seated -- that would be good for my photography (especially for my other blog). I also like the position of the handle bars, and the crank-forward design for pedaling. I decided to take it on a longer test ride, and the bike shop suggested a 1.5 mile loop. I headed off and encountered my first walk of shame! Just out of sight of the bike shop, I started walking the bike up the hill. At the top I got back on and continued the test ride, and began falling in love.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to ride a bike! And even the late winter scenery looked really nice, since for once I wasn't seeing it from inside a car.

Another customer at the bike shop commented as I rode back in that my smile couldn't be bigger. Bike sold!

The rest of the story is: of course, I took the bike out for a quick spin the next morning. My home sits at the top of a big hill. I zoomed down that (I felt a little out of control -- I'm hoping that comfort with speed will develop). Then I hit the flat part and began pedaling. I shifted to a lower speed. Then I hit a slight incline -- one I barely notice when walking or driving. It was 40 degrees out at 7 a.m. that Sunday morning. My thighs started aching. I started wheezing in the cold air (note to self: please bring your inhaler next time!!). Barely a mile away from the house and I suddenly realize how hard (and fun) this was going to be.

The good news is, I'm already planning some bike-riding adventures, for both blogs!

I'd love to hear what works for you on your journey to fitness -- please send me an email at daytripgal@gmail.com!

Look for Journey to the Land of Fit on Facebook: facebook.com/JourneytotheLandofFit

No comments:

Post a Comment