Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Exercising... Why?

Take this simple test. Sit down on the floor with your legs criss-cross applesauce (or, when I was a kid in less politically correct days, "Indian style").

Now stand. Don't worry about speed and stand with as little help as you can (whether from using your hands, another person, a wall, or furniture).

How'd you do?

I'll tell you how I did... three weeks ago, I had to use one hand to push myself off the floor and it was as graceless as a beached whale. Tonight, I'm happy to say, although I had to rock back and forth once to get momentum, but I got up, hands and help free.

If you can get to standing without using your hands or getting other help, you are statistically likely to live longer than those who couldn't.

Wow.

This simple test reveals everything about your current strength, flexibility, and coordination. In a research group, those who could rise using just one hand or with no help at all were in the top 25% for musculoskeletal fitness. The higher your fitness, the longer you're likely to live.

I read about this test in The Exercise Cure: A Doctor's All-Natural Prescription for Better Health and Longer Life, by Jordan D Metzl, MD.

He points to a recent study in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine that showed that physical activity increases longevity. Men gain aproximately 2.6 hours of life per 1 hour of moderate activity; women gain -- get this!!-- 5.6 hours of life for every hour of moderate activity. The numbers increase for vigorous activity.

In it, Metzl argues that low fitness is the single strongest predictor of death, even more powerful than obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and smoking! He also calls exercise "the weight-loss drug millions have been waiting for." He also cites a number of other benefits, including boosting your immune system.

He recommends exercising 7 days a week, arguing that "human bodies are designed for every day use." He postulates that there's really no reason that we can't find 30 minutes to weight train, jog, bike ride, swim, play ultimate frisbee, or take a brisk walk with Fido.

The book then discusses various issues, including addiction, depression, cognition problems, fatigue, sleep apnea, cardiopulmonary problems, and asthma, and exercises and fitness strategies to combat those problems.

Until now I've had this vague idea about getting more fit. Through reading this book and working on this blog (which has forced me to start looking into different aspects of fitness, I've developed specific goals.

The more I read about regular exercise and how it benefits us, the more I'm motivated to get off the couch and start moving. (And to think I used to say that exercise is the root of all evil!)

On the blog's facebook page, I frequently post items I see about quick workouts and ways to incorporate exercise into daily life. Check these out with me, and let me know what works for you!

So although I may have eaten out a few times (and thus, probably over ate) this past weekend, I made sure I exercised at least 30 minutes every day. Might not be perfect progress, but I'll take the small victories when I find them.

I'd love to hear what works for you on your journey to fitness -- please send me an email at daytripgal@gmail.com!

Look for Journey to the Land of Fit on Facebook: facebook.com/JourneytotheLandofFit

No comments:

Post a Comment